
Recently I heard on the radio, that in Great Britain, some people decided to proclaim Heavy Metal as a religion. At first I imagined it and I laughed, but then I thought about it and I realized that music is like a religion to many people. Indeed, metal as a whole (not only heavy metal) is a style of music that has provoked the existence of such a style of clothing, personality type, living standards, enough things to make metal music become the most important factor in defining these people.
Of course, most people either listen to more than one type of music predominantly, or do not allow music to determine their personality, appearance and behavior. More importantly, the most famous styles of music are not as aggressive as metal music is, and do not impose a stereotype of their typical listener. Nevertheless, to many people, music is inspiring and some people even claim, that they are incapable of doing this or that without ‘music’, without clarifying the type of music they are talking about.
But even if the music one listens to cannot describe him, he can be described partially by it. In this sense each person has a unique ‘music personality’. Even if two people like the same songs and listen to the same genres, there are always songs or artists that one person likes better than the other, and it is in that difference that real variety can be found. A person’s array of all genres, artists and songs he likes, together with his preferences for some over other, is what makes a person’s ‘musical personality’.
Speaking of my own musical personality, I don’t think this is something that can really be measured, just like normal personality cannot be. A list of artists and songs I have listened to, together with the number of times I have listened to them, can do nothing but show what mood I have been in lately, because it often happens that I am in a certain mood and play the same song for hours and hours and then don’t listen to it for months, while there is a song I like so much, that I avoid listening to it too often in order to make sure that I don’t get bored of it.
Either way, I must admit that music is an important part of my life. I listen to music while I am driving, while I am being driven, when I am studying, while I am changing clothes. I would listen to music, if I could, even during tests. Moreover, music works very effectively on my mood. There are songs that remind me of people, places, actions, and as I listen to these songs I recall every part of these experiences. There are songs that can make me smile all day and those that can make frown immediately.
All of this reminds me, that I should update the music corner soon. :)
Picture belongs to KiddyGrinder on DeviantArt... Beautiful, isn't it?
Music definitely plays an important role in today's world. It's everywhere. Everyone absorbs or rejects it differently, and everyone is affected differently. I connect music to the seasons, among other things, and find it difficult to break free of the archetypes I set for myself. I put restrictions on when I can listen to certain songs or cds. If I had the choice, I wouldn't go without music.
ReplyDelete